Gem Tiles are tiles with special abilities. They are introduced by Hephaestus in Chapter 6 of Book 1 and are earned by either making long, high-damage words, by defeating an enemy with overkill, or by winning one in a mini-game*. Here is a chart of all seven gem types with their colors, their damage boosts, and their special effects:
|Gem Tile||Color||Damage Boost||Special Effects|
|Amethyst||Pinkish-purple||15%||Poisons the enemy for two turns**. [Effects can be negated by purification or immunity to poison]|
|Emerald||Green||20%||Increases Lex's health by two hearts***.|
|Sapphire||Blue||25%||Freezes enemy. [Effects can be negated by immunity to freeze]|
|Garnet||Yellowish-orange||30%||Powers down the enemy, thus causing their attacks to cause no health damage for two turns. [Effects can be negated by purification or powering up]|
|Ruby||Red||35%||Burns the enemy for three turns**. [Effects can be negated by purification or immunity to fire]|
|Crystal||Pinkish-white||50%||Purifies Lex, purifies the grid, and raises a shield that absorbs all health damage, effects, and ailments for one turn (makes Lex invincible for one turn)****.|
|Diamond||White||100%||Restores all health and gives Lex one of each potion type.|
*In Bookworm Adventures, there are treasures that increase gem frequency. In Bookworm Adventures, Vol. 2, there are treasures that randomly give you gem tiles.
**There are treasures in both Bookworm Adventures and Bookworm Adventures, Vol. 2 that can increase the amount of turns for poison and burn.
***There are treasures in both Bookworm Adventures and Bookworm Adventures, Vol. 2 that can increase the healing effect of Emerald gem tiles.
****In Bookworm Adventures, Vol. 2, the invincibility shield can absorb anything except stasis.
- The Crystal gem tile was the only way to see shields in Bookworm Adventures; in Bookworm Adventures, Vol. 2, shields are introduced for enemies.
- In the sequel, the gem power order changes, with Crystal being the strongest gem.
- Both a Ruby Tile (burning) and a Sapphire Tile (freezing) can effect an enemy at the same time.
- With the circumstances of earning gems, the Crystal gem is the rarest gem to earn.
- When you defeat an enemy with overkill, you will earn a gem for certain amounts of overkill. Here are the seven levels of overkill and their corresponding gem tiles:
- Whomped! (for the Amethyst)
- Crushed! (for the Emerald)
- Vanquished! (for the Garnet)
- Destroyed! (for the Sapphire)
- Decimated! (for the Ruby)
- Obliterated! (for the Crystal)
- Annihilated! (for the Diamond)